I’ve alluded to this on social media, but I am leaving LA next weekend and moving in with my parents in Ohio. While OF COURSE I’ll miss this vibrant, sunny, weird city, I’m looking forward to spending more time with my family and our new GOLDEN RETRIEVER PUPPY.
But people keep asking me WHY. So here’s a list of reasons why I’m leaving LA:
WHY I’M LEAVING LA
- I am building my freelance writing business and need to cut costs. Right now, I am not making enough money writing to support myself in this city. However, in Ohio, my hard-earned money will go a lot further. Instead of continuing to drain my savings and rack up credit card debt, I’m going to cut back on expenses while I build my business.
And THAT’S IT. I’m making the smart move for my career and my finances.
Some people have been so supportive, and I really thank you for that. Other times, I have been met with a scoff and a “Ugh, why?” It’s not really anyone’s business BUT IT IS 100% ABOUT MONEY.
Sure, I could get a job here. But I don’t want to! I love working for myself. I don’t want to spend my precious time working on someone else’s dream.
Will I ever move back to LA? Maybe. I do love LA. If I reach a certain income threshold and moving back feels right, I’ll do it. OBVIOUSLY I’M NOT AFRAID OF BIG MOVES, PEOPLE. But I’m also considering other options. I may do Remote Year or a similar program. I may go backpacking around the world. I may buy a bunch of rental properties in Cleveland and become a Midwestern real estate mogul. I don’t know what I’ll want to do in a year and I’m not going to commit to anything now. But with my finances in the right place, all of these things are possible.
Here’s what’s next:
- I am doing another Great American Road Trip, this time with my dad, going along the north route through Las Vegas, Denver, Omaha, and Chicago. I am stopping to see Kirsten and Brittany along the way which I am AMPED about. I had a lot of fun driving to California with my mom, and I’m excited to make the trip back on a different route with my dad (read about it here).
- I will be living with my parents in Youngstown, Ohio for at least 6 months. While I don’t really know anyone in Youngstown (although I grew up there!), I will be able to drive to Cleveland and Columbus to see my friends. I will be making trips to LA, Atlanta, and Phoenix to get through the winter.
- I may join Crossfit to make friends.
- I am also considering starting a podcast about people who live in Youngstown similar to Neighbors.
- …or I might start some kind of email newsletter about fun things to do in Youngstown similar to DoLA. If I’m going to be in this community for 6 months I want to make a positive impact, you know?
- I am going to spend a lot of time with my family. We haven’t all lived under the same roof FOR TEN YEARS. I’m very much looking forward to spending time with them.
- WE ARE GETTING A PUPPY. Her name is Winnie (after my late Grandma). Obviously I’ll be making her an Instagram account so TBD on that.
So, that’s why I’m leaving LA and moving to Ohio. I’m excited about it. I will miss LA and the people I am leaving behind, but it’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make for my future. Honestly, I feel fortunate to even have this option. I hope you’ll still be my friend and continue to read my blog. I promise you, Ohio is NOT as boring as you may think. With me there, it’s about to become a lot more exciting.