Now that I’m living as an unemployed person in Los Angeles, I have a lot of extra time to go hiking. If you follow my Instagram, you know I went to Runyon Canyon last week. Then on Friday my friend Taylor and I went to Temescal Canyon in Santa Monica. Let me just tell you though, hiking in California is NOTHING like hiking in Columbus, Ohio. We don’t have hills in Columbus. There’s some ravines and stuff, but for the most part the land is relatively flat. So basically, we were in no way prepared to hike up the side of a mountain. We took, like, 30 breaks on the way up to the top of the ridge. However, once we got to the top we were rewarded with stunning views of the ocean, Santa Monica, and Los Angeles.
Afterwards, we rewarded ourselves with some poké bowls from Sweetfin.
A few things you should know if you go to Temescal Canyon:
– Parking is $7, but you can park on the street outside of the park fo’ free
– Don’t wear your freshest sneakers! The trails are super dusty and dry, so expect to get dirty
– Wear sunscreen! The trails are mostly out in the sun with little cover
– The trail is a loop. The portion of the trail on the inside of the canyon is significantly warmer than the side that faces the ocean.
– The waterfall is all dried up so don’t expect a refreshing dip 🙁
Do you like hiking? What are your favorite trails?